kugler at us.ibm.com kugler at us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 16 18:30:38 EST 1999

"Hastings, Tom N" <hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com> wrote:

>IPP Model and Semantics, section 4.1.5 'uri' says:
>
>The 'uri' attribute syntax is any valid Uniform Resource Identifier or URI
>[RFC2396].  Most often, URIs are simply Uniform Resource Locators or URLs.
>The maximum length of URIs used as values of IPP attributes is 1023
octets.
>Although most other IPP attribute syntax types allow for only lower-cased
>values, this attribute syntax type conforms to the case-sensitive and
>case-insensitive rules specified in [RFC2396].
>
>Is that reference sufficient?

HTTP/1.1 is more restrictive than RFC2396.  However, as I understand it,
the Model and Semantics is supposed to be transport independent, so it
references the more general spec.

>The Implementer's Guide doesn't talk about URI comparison.  Should it?

It might be worth mentioning that if you happen to be using the HTTP
mapping of the IPP/1.0 Model and Semantics, that you need to be bound by
the HTTP rules.

>Would it need to reference the HTTP specification as you did?

I think it's a good idea.