Anthony Porter anthony.porter at computer.org
Tue Apr 13 06:05:43 EDT 1999

I agree with this.
impressionsInterpreted is related to Issue #31 where the printer has a
separate RIP processor.  Since it may take a significant amount of time to
RIP a complex document, this value is necessary if users are to have any
idea as when a job might be finished.

I notice that there does not seem any way to specify collation in IPP-MOD.
It is mentioned in the context of multiple documents, but not for multiple
copies of single documents.  This is important, since many printers cannot
collate at all, while others are restricted by the number of output trays.
Printers with a separate RIP can collate any number of copies.

job-collation ought to be a job template attribute, so that the printer can
specify whether it supports collation, and the maximum number of copies it
can collate.  Certain jobs ought not to be collated, even if the printer can
do so.

At present the user has no idea whether a job of 500 copies will be collated
or not.

Anthony Porter