Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Thu Apr 22 20:06:40 EDT 1999

> Who said anything about hooking this printer up to the Internet. I would
> never do that - I would buy a printer that supports authentication if I was
> planning to do that. IPP works fine in an office with 5 people using one
> printer on a simple in-house LAN.

and sooner or later a significant number of those in-house LANs will
be connected to the internet, because the convenience in doing so
far outweighs the risk.

and if you think that the LAN will be behind a firewall, think again.
every new internet protocol requires authentication, the old ones
are being refitted to support authentication, and the digest framework
allows single sign-on.  there will be far less need for a firewall,
than there is now, and firewalls are a poor mechanism for access
control anyway.

it is really starting to sound like folks want IETF to bless the
practice of making limited-functionality devices so that those
devices don't intrude on the markets for more expensive devices.

Keith