Manros, Carl-Uno B cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Apr 29 13:01:56 EDT 1999

I have followed this debate for a while.

My personal conviction is that ALL Internet attached devices will need to
have a way to indicate time in the foreseeable future.

However, to overcome short term problems with low-end devices, I make the
following suggestion:

1) Make it a MUST requirement for IPP/1.1 IPP clients to generate absolute
time.

2) Make it a SHOULD requirement for IPP/1.1 printers to generate absolute
time.

A SHOULD gives a clear signal to people who develop new printer/print server
products to include a way to obtain absolute time next time they redesign
their hardware/firmware. If we make it a MAY, then people will keep on
ignoring the problem, and we are going to have handicapped (and user
unfriendly) IPP devices for ever.

Carl-Uno