Anthony Porter anthony.porter at computer.org
Fri May 7 04:08:52 EDT 1999

I implement method 1 and maintain the printer-up-time.  The reason is that
the printer is not one unique component.

Method 1 is the same as method 2 if the printer never goes down.

I dont think the job-printer-up-time is necessary, since once the client has
the printer-up-time, it knows time when the printer reboot occurred and can
calculate the local times of all the jobs.  The client must refresh the
printer-up-time occasionally, in case the printer has rebooted, but the
client can do this when it queries the printer for other attributes, such as
printer-state.  There is of course a risk that the client might occasionally
display incorrect times if the printer reboots frequently, but maybe that is
not so important.

job-printer-up-time does not do any harm of course, but clients will have to
cope anyway with V1.0 servers that don't supply it.

A minor point is that if the client asks for a long list of jobs, the server
might take a while to prepare it, and the job-printer-up-time returned for
each job might not be the same.  I guess that the client ought to take the
last job-printer-up-time in the list.

Anthony Porter