Ira McDonald imcdonal at sdsp.mc.xerox.com
Wed May 19 12:41:09 EDT 1999

Hi Tom,

Since most event reports are delivered through inherently
unreliable (or anyway unconfirmed) channels, I'd say ANY
device MAY suspend event reporting when busy.

Rather than have clients indicate that their events are
'droppable' (low-priority), I'd rather that the default
is that all event subscribtions are for 'unconfirmed'
event delivery service (e.g., SNMP Trap-PDU or SMTP
'mailto:' without MDN or DSN feedback).  Then a client
can explicitly subscribe (if the device offers it) to
the 'confirmed' event delivery service (e.g., a
response from a SNMP management station/ trap
destination via a 'latch' object in the device's MIB
or use of MDN/DSN in the SMTP 'mailto:' case).

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North Inc