kugler at us.ibm.com kugler at us.ibm.com
Tue Jun 22 18:29:15 EDT 1999

> +----------------------------+---+
> | printer-name               | S | MUST
> TH31>  Why not allow this to be set.  Its the administratively set name.
> +----------------------------+---+

I think we have to be careful about putting too many MUSTs on the
implementations.  In our case, we can't (practically) change the "printer-name"
after the Printer has been created (the "printer-name" is used as an identifier
by other, non-IPP, parts of the system).  If this becomes a MUST, then we're
faced with some unpleasant alternatives:

    1) Try to work around the problem; fake "printer-name" somehow
    2) Don't support the "printer-name" attribute (Oops! Its REQUIRED.)
    3) Don't support the Set-Printer-Attributes operation, even though we could
set many of the other printer attributes.

I don't think this is a unique situation.

    -Carl