Kirk Ocke kjo at ess.mc.xerox.com
Thu Jun 24 14:32:56 EDT 1999

> From ipp-owner at pwg.org Thu Jun 24 12:56 EDT 1999
> From: PETER_E_MELLQUIST at hp-roseville-om3.om.hp.com
> Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 19:19:23 -0700
> Subject: RE: RE: IPP> MOD - comments on Carl's Set and Admin operations registration pr
> To: hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com, HPARRA at novell.com, ipp at pwg.org,
>         kugler at us.ibm.com
>
> IPP is not a management / Administrative Protocol. If you want management,
> then use a management protocol. Just because you can do something within
> IPP does not mean you should.
>
> "Before we drop this issue, I'm with Tom in that from time to time
> administrators find it very useful to be able to rename a printer."
>
> Peter Mellquist
> Hewlett-Packard Company

RFC 2567, "Design Goals for IPP," states that version 1.0 does not
address printer management; the role of the Administrator.  However, it
does not say that printer management is deprecated for all time. As a
matter of fact, someone reading RFC 2567 is defintely left with the
sense that printer management is in the domain of IPP, but was set
aside in order to get the first versin done (which is sensible).

So while there may be arguments on the merits of including printer
management in IPP, saying that it violates the initial premises of
what the protocol is, is incorrect.  Either that or the PWG allowed
an inaccurate RFC to be published.

specifically, RFC 2567 says:

  Section 4 Objective of the Protocol

   The protocol to be defined by an Internet printing working group will
   address the wants and needs of the end-user (V1.0).  It will not, at
   least initially, address the operator or administrator wants and
   needs (V2.0).

  Section 3.3. ADMINISTRATOR (NOT REQUIRED FOR V1.0)

   The wants and needs of the administrator include all those of the
   end-user and, in some environments, some or all of those of the
   operator.  Minimally, the administrator must also have the tools,
   programs, utilities and supporting protocols available to be able to:

   - create an instance of a printer
   - create, edit and maintain the list of authorized end-users
   - create, edit and maintain the list of authorized operators
   - create, edit and maintain the list of authorized
     administrators
   - create, customize, change or otherwise alter the manner in
     which the status capabilities and other information about printers
     and jobs are presented
   - create, customize, or change other printer or job features
   - administrate billing or other charge-back mechanisms
   - create sets of defaults
   - create sets of capabilities