kugler at us.ibm.com kugler at us.ibm.com
Thu Jun 24 16:18:48 EDT 1999

Peter wrote:

>Thanks for the reference to the "design goals" behind the effort. This
>helps to
>clarify to what degree printer mgmt should be included. If the intent is to
>include a full mgmt protocol within IPP, then perhaps it might be good to
>point  this out since it remains somewhat ambiguous.

Another way to look at it is that we're not inventing a new protocol at all,
only extending the IPP Model with some new operations and attributes.

>If the intent is to provide a
>distinct subset then, what is the criteria for selecting that sub-set?
>Certainly job related mgmt is desired, but as for printer management its
>not
>clear what the intent is.
>
>Assuming the intent is for IPP to be an IETF blessed protocol....Protocols
>developed within the IETF address mgmt in the form of SNMP MIBS.

I'm genuinely interested in how you propose to do these operations
(Pause-Printer, Resume-Printer, Purge-Jobs, Shutdown-Printer, Enable-Printer,
Disable-Printer, Space-Printer, etc.) with SNMP.  I imagine we'd have to add
some kind of new "Controls" group to the Printer MIB and do things like SET
"ctrlShutdown" to TRUE in order to shutdown the Printer?

     -Carl