IPP> Re:Goals behind IPP 1.1 printer mgmt

harryl at us.ibm.com harryl at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 28 19:07:14 EDT 1999

I'm not coming at the problem from a DPA perspective, necessarily. I am seeking
a collection of definitions, protocols, attributes and conventions who's roles
and interaction provide a solution for print service discovery, capabilities
matching, submission, monitoring, accounting and asset control that are not
vastly different for each platform or operating environment.

I lobbied for concise division of labor when IPP was in early development. "Mind
the printer MIB ... the Job MIB..." I argued that IPP should be the standard job
SUBMISSION protocol to complement our existing infrastructure! A strong distaste
for SNMP overshadowed the conversation as a subset of Printer MIB was chiseled
into IPP. I adjusted my attitude to acknowledge the inevitable and focused (with
a great deal of help from Tom) on compatibility with the Job MIB.

In light of our history... issues related to division of labor sound familiar
but futile. IPP is, after all, already a collection of this and that. And, as a
submission and job management protocol, I certainly don't see a problem adding
operator features.

What I find most interesting is the opportunity to sort through alternatives.
I'm not suggesting the PWG must "drive" every aspect of the overall print
solution, but, where there are alternatives (CIM vs. IPP extensions vs. SNMP,
for example), I think the PWG should have a high level framework to test the
ideas and couple the options into a cross platform roadmap.

Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems
harryl at us.ibm.com

Ira McDonald <imcdonal at sdsp.mc.xerox.com> on 06/28/99 01:22:36 PM