Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Jul 8 15:04:42 EDT 1999

I attempted to down load these files last week before leaving on vacation,
but I couldn't access the PWG server with FTP (HTTP and browser worked
fine).  I did email the documents to Bob Herriot, Carl Kugler, and Carl-Uno
Manros last week, so hopefully the IPP WG is reviewing these documents at
the IPP WG meeting yesterday and today in Copenhagen.  However, for those of
us not in Denmark, we can discuss the proposal on the mailing list and at
the IPP telecon, next week, Wednesday, 7/14/99, 10-12 PDT (1-3 EDT).
Hopefully, Bob, Carl-Uno, or Lee will send us notes on the discussion from
the IPP WG meeting before then.

Here is the mail message I composed last week and would have sent if I could
have down-loaded the files using FTP:

I've updated Carl's proposal based on the discussion at last Wednesday's IPP
telecon (6/30/99).  There are 13 issues that are highlighted.  It would be
good to process these on the mailing list and at the IPP WG meeting 7/7-8 in
Copenhagen.

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/proposed-registrations/operations/ipp-ops-admi
n-990630.doc
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/proposed-registrations/operations/ipp-ops-admi
n-990630.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/proposed-registrations/operations/ipp-ops-admi
n-990630-rev.doc
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/proposed-registrations/operations/ipp-ops-admi
n-990630-rev.pdf

Send any comments to the DL ahead of time. Here is the abstract:

This document specifies 15 additional OPTIONAL administrative operations for
use with the Internet Printing Protocol/1.0 (IPP) [RFC2565, RFC2566] and
IPP/1.1 [ipp-mod, ipp-pro].  These operations are 7 Printer object
operations that operators/administrators may perform on a Printer object:
		Set-Printer-Attributes
		Enable-Printer
		Disable-Printer
		Reset-Printer
		Restart-Printer
		Space-Printer
		Shutdown-Printer
and 8 Job object operations that end-users may perform on their jobs and
operators/administrators may perform on any job:
		Set-Job-Attributes
		Reprocess-Job
		Cancel-Current-Job  (though the target is the Printer
object)
		Pause-Job
		Pause-Current-Job  (though the target is the Printer object)
		Resume-Job
		Promote-Job
		Space-Current-Job  (though the target is the Printer object)
In addition, two operation attributes are defined:
"job-message-from-operator" and "printer-message-from-operator" are included
to set the corresponding Job and Printer Description attributes with the
same names.  And the "when" operation attribute is added to the
Pause-Printer operation.
Finally, a new 'client-error-attributes-not-settable' is defined for use
with the two Set operations.

Tom