Mike Shepherd and I have updated the Notification spec according to the
agreements at the IPP WG Copenhagen meeting, 7/7/99-7/8/99 and the
subsequent telecon on 7/14/99:
Keith Moore wanted to see something as an Internet-Draft. Lets discuss at
next week's IPP telecon, 7/28/99, whether to make this one an
Internet-Draft. It has 27 issues highlighted in yellow in the .doc and .pdf
Mike combined the two specs into one, but the Job Progress Notification spec
is still separate (and not updated, since it hasn't been reviewed at either
the IPP WG meeting or a telecon).
The agreements were posted 7/12/99 at:
Here is the change history:
1 Appendix B: Change History
Changes are listed in reverse chronological order:
1.1 Changes to the July 21, 1999 to make the July 22, 1999 (T Hastings)
1. Added the REQUIRED "initial-sequence-numbers" (1setOf
integer(1:MAX)) to the Subscribe-Printer response to indicate the sequence
number to be used in the first notification for each event subscribed.
2. Added a number of issues and renumbered.
1.2 Changes to the July 20, 1999 to make the July 21, 1999 (T Hastings)
The following changes were made to the July 20, 1999 to make the July 21,
1. Changed the "job-trigger-events (1setOf type2
keyword)" Job Description attribute "job-trigger-event (type2 keyword),
since events cannot be batched in a notification.
2. Changed the "printer-trigger-events (1setOf type2
keyword)" Printer Description attribute "printer-trigger-event (type2
keyword), since events cannot be batched in a notification.
3. Changed Subscribe-Job from REQUIRED to OPTIONAL if
implementing "Explicit Subscription".
4. Clarified that events are defined to be disjoint,
since the job-trigger-event is now single-valued. Thus only the
'job-created' event is generated even if job state reasons are added.
Similarly, only the 'job-completed' event is generated even if job state
reasons are added or removed.
5. Indicated which Job Description and Printer
Description attributes are READ-ONLY, i.e., MUST NOT be settable with
Set-Job-Attributes or Set-Printer-Attributes operations.
6. Clarified which Job attributes cause
'job-config-changed' event: "job-message-from-operator" and any
non-READ-ONLY Job attributes.
7. Clarified which Printer attributes cause
'printer-config-changed' event: "printer-message-from-operator" and any
non-READ-ONLY Printer attributes, except "media-ready" which has its own
8. Renamed 'ready-for-job' event to
'printer-is-no-longer-full' and clarified that it is generated only when a
previous Print-Job, Print-URI, Create-Job, Send-Document, or Send-URI
operation had been rejected due to no more room.
9. Renamed 'ready-for-just-in-time-job' to
'printer-almost-idle', to make it clearer how this event differs from
10. Kept 'printer-shutdown' and 'printer-restarted' as
separate and disjoint from 'printer-state-changed' event, so that they can
be subscribed without having to get all state change events. Also parallel
with 'job-created', 'job-state-change', and 'job-completed'. Also clarified
that shutdown means either using the Shutdown-Printer operation with
'standby' or 'power-down' options or power-down by other means. Same for
'printer-restarted' being with the Restart-Printer operation or a power-up
1.3 Changes to the May 18, 1999 to make the July 20, 1999 (M Shepherd)
The following changes were made to the May 18, 1999 to make the July 20,
1. Added new section Conformance Requirements
2. Changed 'event report' to 'notification'
3. Changed 'request-id' to be used as a sequence number
inside each notification.
4. Combined job-state-changed and
job-state-reason-change into one notification trigger-event.
5. Combined printer-state-changed and
printer-state-reason-change into one notification trigger event.
6. Added "job-config-changed" event
7. Moved "device-powering-down" event to be encompassed
8. Combined this spec with the Job Independent
Subscriptions spec (which was renamed to Explicit Subscriptions).
9. Added operation Subscribe-Job.
10. Added server-error-too-many-subscriptions to Status