kugler at us.ibm.com kugler at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 27 12:09:04 EDT 1999

Here's a response from our printer expert:

There are customers who want to stop the printer without performing a physical
operation at the printer and they want to choose whether or not to NPRO.

In a "backspace 100 pages" scenario, for example, they want the printer to "back
up" and start printing the last 100 pages over again. Some customers want the
printer to stop and then start printing the last 100 pages immediately following
the previous pages (to save paper and time) whereas other customers want an NPRO
to follow what has already printed but before reprinting the last 100 pages
(because it provides clear separation at the backspace point which is more
important than saving money or a little NPRO time). In both scenarios, the
operator does not need to be at the console of the printer itself. All of the
control is done from the print server, not the printer.

If IPP does not support NPRO or does not support NPRO suppression, one of these
two customer scenarios can't be satisfied.

          -Carl

"Anthony Porter" <anthony.porter at computer.org> on 07/27/99 02:31:05 AM

Please respond to anthony.porter at computer.org