Richard Shockey rshockey at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 28 16:18:02 EDT 1999

>These are just a few. Maybe not even the best links.
>
>Point is... if you think e-mail has a place in print job notifications
>(I'm not
>saying it doesn't)... then you should agree that IM is even a more custom fit.
>
>Harry Lewis
>IBM Printing Systems
>harryl at us.ibm.com

Harry I'd agree but I monitor the IMPP WG on a daily basis and they are
IMHO at least 12-18 months or more away from any Standards Track
document.  They are still thrashing out their Goals and Requirements. All
the other solutions are proprietary. It seems to be a pretty hot topic
these days with the AOL/MS wars. Its a strong high volume list with major
participation by MS, Lotus, Bell Labs and several academic teams. They look
like they are going to be successful. This is clearly a WG to track.

My read of the Goals drafts indicates that there is nothing strange in the
proposal that would preclude the use of the protocol by devices etc, but
now is the time to get your 2 cents worth in.

On a side note I just got through thrashing a few of the IMPP participants
who were starting to suggest using HTTP as a transport layer  .. ( to
circumvent firewalls ).  A reminder of the IPP experience in this area
silenced them pretty quickly :-)

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC
8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110
St. Louis, MO 63119
Voice 314.918.9020
eFAX Fax to EMail 815.333.1237 (Preferred for Fax)
INTERNET Mail & IFAX : rshockey at ix.netcom.com
GSTN Fax 314.918.9015
MediaGate iPost VoiceMail and Fax 800.260.4464