Ira McDonald imcdonal at sdsp.mc.xerox.com
Fri Jul 30 13:32:10 EDT 1999

Hi Carl,

No, to the best of my knowledge, NOT like 'APPLCORE
', but rather a very skinny session envelope for IPP
that replaces the (few) elements current carried in
the HTTP headers, rather than the 'application/ipp'
body.  The idea is that this 'IPP Session' envelope
can be place on ANY reliable transport on ANY medium
(not just Internet protocol suites), to cover the
full scope of 'Server-To-Device' needs for IPP
speaking Printer Servers.

That would let IPP run directly over NetWare SPX,
for example, or any LLC Type 2 (connection-mode)
datalink link that is bridged as needed, or anything
else with sequenced packets and recovery of lost
data built in.

The amount of HTTP that IPP turned out to use just
about fits on the head of a pin...

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North Inc