Wagner,William bwagner at digprod.com
Mon Aug 23 12:02:09 EDT 1999

Carl,

I understand what you are saying. Although I do not necessarily agree that
extensions to IPP are the best way to address Administrator level
operations, I personally have no objection to these extensions provided that
the operations are clearly defined to be upon only the printing service
implicit in the IPP protocol and not upon the physical printer nor any other
printing service (although there may be some secondary effect upon the
printer.) For example, reset to factory may be used to set IPP attributes to
default values, but not network node parameters (such as IP address) nor
parameters for any other printing service supported by that printer. Where I
believe that additional clarification and scope definition would be
necessary is when these operations are intended to be upon the physical
printer itself.

More clearly, if the intent is to use IPP as a network device management
mechanism (as some have suggested), then this should be clearly stated and
agreed to(or not) as the understood objective before incorporation into the
general specification.

I think that your message and the additional information that Harry has
agreed to provide will help to avoid any confusion as to the intent and
scope of the proposed extensions.

Bill Wagner