Ira Mcdonald imcdonal at sdsp.mc.xerox.com
Mon Sep 13 18:44:31 EDT 1999

Hi Tom,

I generally support the new alternative with the following caveat:

I'd rather get rid of 'collection' (for this use) entirely.  If
a client wants more than one Subscription associated with a single
job, then that client can submit the Job with 'job-hold=TRUE' and
create the second through last associated Subscription (or all of
them, having omitted the 'notify-XXX' operation attributes at
Job creation time).

'collection' is a clever idea, but it is also poor man's objects.
I prefer real objects.

And I don't want acceptance of the 'collection' structured
data syntax to hold up acceptance of the IPP Notifications
Extensions by the IETF and non-IPP reviewers.

But I *like* having both Job and Printer subscriptions use the
same object class and not be so different.  The complexity
(without this Alternative Proposal) is unreasonably high,
in my opinion.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North Inc