kugler at us.ibm.com kugler at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 22 23:31:56 EDT 1999

After protracted debate at today's IPP WG meeting, we came to the conclusion
that this is really a minor issue, and that we'd prefer to resolve it with
minimal impact to existing implementations and minor editorial changes to the
standard document.  After some analysis, we concluded that the one really
problematic case is "printer-state-reasons"='none'.  This is a special case that
is an artifact of the requirement that an attribute with "1SetOf" syntax MUST
contain at least one value.  If we handle this case as an exception, we can
solve the problem with minimal effort.

Therefore, we propose the following change to MOD section 4.4.11,
printer-state-reasons (1setOf type2 keyword):

Change this sentence:

     If the implementation does not add any one of the three suffixes, all
parties MUST assume that the reason is an "error".

to say this:

     If the implementation does not add any one of the three suffixes, all
parties MUST assume that the reason is an "error", unless the keyword value is
'none'.  (The keyword value 'none' indicates that there is no particular reason
for the current "printer-state", so a severity suffix on this value would be
superfluous.)

     -Carl Kugler