Shepherd, Michael MShepherd at crt.xerox.com
Thu Dec 9 14:39:10 EST 1999

Tom,

Sorry I had to leave the telecon before it was over, but I had one point to
make regarding device state roll-up and the following agreement:

|7. There will not be any roll-up of fan-out device state or
| Printer object
| state,   and state-reasons, except the "printer-state"
| 'stopped' and the
| 'stopped-partly' printer-state-reasons.

Since you're not going to roll-up the printer object state on fan-out, the
state attributes of the printer object won't accurately reflect the state of
the device(s)/other printer objects which it fans out to.  I would suggest
either 1) introducing an 'unknown' printer-state-reason, or 2) defining the
state and state-reason attributes in the fan-out case to only be local to
the node printer object and clearly state to the user that the state doesn't
represent the leaf printers' states.

Also, one other point which comes to mind but I haven't heard discussed is
this...  A Fanning-out Printer Object xxx-supported attribute is supposed to
represent all supported values of all leaf printers/devices, correct?  If
one of these leaf devices is disabled, shouldn't the fanning-out printer
object's xxx-supported attribute be updated to reflect that these values are
not currently supported?

Thanks,
Mike