henrik.holst at i-data.com henrik.holst at i-data.com
Thu May 4 03:42:08 EDT 2000

Like Paul I don't understand all the talk about spamming mails. If I want to
spam you I can do it
today, and you won't be able to track me. That is Email.
Like in the Email notification proposal I think that,
|-----------------+--------------------->
|                 |                     |
|                 |                     |
| SMTP RFC 822    | SMTP Field Name     |
| section         |                     |
|                 |                     |
|-----------------+--------------------->
  | field                                          |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------+--------------------->
|                 |                     |
|                 |                     |
| 4.4.1           | From:               |
|                 |                     |
|-----------------+--------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | "printer-name"  <"subscriber-user-data">       |
  | Note:  The "printer-name" is the Mail Display  |
  | name.  And the "subscriber-user-data" inside   |
  | <> is assumed to be an SMTP mail address so    |
  | that the Notification Recipient can reply to   |
  | the subscriber.  For example, to say "I picked |
  | up your document, thanks"                      |
  >------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------+--------------------->
|                 |                     |
|                 |                     |
| 4.4.2           | Sender:             |
|                 |                     |
|-----------------+--------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------|
  | "subscriber-user-name"                         |
  | <"subscriber-user-data">                       |
  | Note:  The "subscriber-user-name" is the Mail  |
  | Display name.  And the "subscriber-user-data"  |
  | inside <> is assumed to be an SMTP mail        |
  | address so that the mail system will send      |
  | failure to deliver mail messages to the mail   |
  | address specified by the                       |
  | "subscriber-user-data", not the Printer.  The  |
  | subscriber-user-data could be the subscriber   |
  | or anyone else.                                |

We haven't specified anything about the REPLY-TO field, because it's normally
not used in mails today.
If you reply to a mail it use the FROM field.

Henrik

"Carl-Uno Manros" <carl at manros.com> on 02-05-2000 17:56:36