Wagner,William bwagner at digprod.com
Wed Aug 16 11:02:00 EDT 2000

OK. Don has indicated the great features that machine readable will support.
Jay has brought up the likelihood that the "real-time notifications are
highly desirable within
an intranet environment" and will justify the client development effort for
INDP.

I don't think that there is any major disagreement with these points. But
the question relates to the internet environment. Although there has been
comment that the network could be modified to allow INDP access, I suggest
that there will be a substantial number of instances where this is not
possible. The advantages of mail-to is that it will get through in a much
larger proportion on instances, and it does not require router/firewall
modification. Therefore, if mail-to includes machine readable info,  the
nifty application using machine readable information is usable in a larger
number of instances. The disadvantage is that it requires a embedded
mail-server or a constantly running mail client to approach real time
notification. If, as a group, this burden is too high to justify allowing
machine readable to be included, then it should not be included.

But since (I think) we have elected not to mandate an approach, and Bob has
outlined what appears to be a simple way to allow (not require) machine
readable information over mail-to, it seems unreasonable to preclude using
this feature. Indeed, although I was among the first to say that I did not
see a need for it, I  see no reason not to allow it.

William A. Wagner (Bill Wagner)
Director of Technology
Imaging Division
NETsilicon, Inc.