harryl at us.ibm.com harryl at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 12 11:23:42 EST 2000

>Are these factory-settings somehow inherently kept in the printer's
>implementation?  Does IPP specify how are they stored?

Typically, factory setting are stored in NVRAM or ROM. They represent a
fail safe means of re-establishing a baseline of device operation.

>I maintain that there MUST be a way for at least an administrator
>to get the factory settings - if for nothing more than for providing
>an Admin Tool with a list of available options to display.  If a
>printer loses the ability to advertise a certain feature, loses that
>feature all together.

I don't necessarily agree, since factory settings are not volatile. Also,
"factory-settings" would be the actual initial values, not necessarily a
list of all the features as your comment (above) seems to indicate.

Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems

"Shepherd, Michael" <MShepherd at crt.xerox.com>
Sent by: owner-ipp at pwg.org