Richard Shockey rshockey at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 12 15:33:55 EST 2000

As requested during the IPP telecon today I'm reposing this message on the
current status of QUALDOCS.

I'd like to get some comments back from everyone on the charter below so
that I can resubmit this to the IESG ASAP in advance of IETF in Australia.
I'd like to resubmit this within 10 days or so.

With the charter finished we should take a look at the Goals Document to
see if it is stable enough for submission shortly after Australia. With a
successful Goals submission we'll request the IESG amend the charter for
the protocol itself.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klyne-qualdoc-goals-02.txt

Of course we can continue to discuss Paul Moore's draft at any time.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moore-qualdocs-protocol-00.txt

#############

I've received a communication from the IESG on the status of our proposed
charter.

In general, the IESG believes that we have some interesting ideas and it is
willing to charter the work. In their view however, we should first develop
the Goals and Requirements document and then amend the charter for the
actual protocol.

Of particular concern to the IESG was the concept of "legal" identity
exchange and "proof of delivery". The Security Area Directors are
particularly concerned about the level of proof we might propose based on
the current state of the art. We may need some more debate on what these
terms actually mean in this context.

Consequently I've paired down the proposed charter a bit and I'd like some
additional feedback on any other concepts that should be included or
excluded, for that matter.

We already have a draft Goals document available for discussion so work can
proceed.

So... please take a look ...
##############

Proposed Charter:

QUALDOCS - HIGH QUALITY DOCUMENT DISTRIBUTION

Chair(s):   Richard Shockey
         <rshockey at ix.netcom.com>  [PROPOSED]

Applications Area Director(s):
         Keith Moore     <moore+iesg at cs.utk.edu>
         Patrik Faltstrom   <paf at swip.net>

  Area Advisor
         Keith Moore  <moore+iesg at cs.utk.edu>

  Mailing lists:
      General Discussion:        ifx at pwg.org

To Subscribe:

majordomo at pwg.org

In Body: subscribe ifx  [your-email-address]

         The subject line should be blank

Archive:

<http://www.pwg.org/hypermail/ifx>

Description of Working Group:

The transmission and reception of final form documents (i.e. presented in a
format that describes their final rendering) is an essential global
communications service.

Several protocols and services have been developed over the years to
facilitate document transmission, including the GSTN Fax service [ITU
-T.30].  Within the IETF several protocols have been developed that
facilitate document transmission, including RFC 2305 and RFC 2532 [Store
and Forward Internet Fax] and the Internet Print Protocol [IPP].

Problem Statement:

Each of these services has one or more severe limitations or restrictions
that may not be suitable for all document transmissions.

Among those limitations that could be applied to one or more of the above
services:

1. Limitations on Quality (resolution or color transmission)
2. Ability to repudiate request for receipt confirmation (MDN - DSN)
3. Lack of clear identification of sender and recipient
4. Lack of ability to adequately determine the success or failure of a
document transmission during processing
5. Inability to establish reliable knowledge or negotiation of recipient
capabilities
6. Inability to satisfy national legal requirements as well as general
custom and practice for document transmission technologies, as typically
applied to GSTN Fax.
7. Inability to establish transaction security, authenticity and
confidentiality of document transmission

Work Group Objectives:

The purpose of the work group will be to investigate current work within
the IETF and develop Goals and Requirements that can satisfy the
requirements for reliable document transmission with a high degree of
fidelity and reliability.

Study will be given to the requirements of 3rd party document delivery
service providers.

QUALDOCS Goals and Requirements will build on the work of RFC 2542
Terminology and Goals for Internet Fax.

The working group will closely coordinate its activities with other IETF
Work Groups, including the Internet Print Protocol working group [IPP] and
the Internet Fax working group [FAX] as well other document transmission
related standards bodies and related work groups, notably the ITU-T Study
Group 8. The group will take note of other areas and Work Groups within the
IETF that may have direct bearing on reliable document delivery.

Relevant areas include:

-  Security, Authentication and Encryption (TLS, etc)
-  Sender Identification (vCard)
-  RFC 2301 File Formats
-  Digital Signatures and Certificates
-  RESCAP
-  IMPP
-  ENUM

Goals and Milestones:

May 2000  Submit Internet Draft of Goals and Objectives for Quality
Document Distribution  for publication as a Standards Track RFC.

July 2000  Re-submit QUALDOCS Charter to include Protocol Development for
IESG approval.

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC
8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110
St. Louis, MO 63119
Voice 314.918.9020
eFAX Fax to EMail 815.333.1237 (Preferred for Fax)
INTERNET Mail & IFAX : rshockey at ix.netcom.com
GSTN Fax 314.918.9015
MediaGate iPost VoiceMail and Fax 800.260.4464

INTERNET Mail & IFAX : rshockey at ix.netcom.com
GSTN Fax 314.918.9015