harryl at us.ibm.com harryl at us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 8 00:31:21 EST 2000

It's easy to misinterpret when treating complex job production
instructions as exceptions...

>If "document-copies" is present in a collection value of the
>"page-exceptions" attribute, the collection value specifies attributes
for
>the specified pages of the specified copies of the specified documents.
>Pages not in the specified document copies are not affected by the
>collection value.

Rather than straightforward...

>"Here's a file.  Print it once using these attributes,
>then print it another way, then print it another way..."

Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems

Jay Martin <jkm at underscore.com>
Sent by: owner-ipp at pwg.org
02/07/00 08:57 PM

        To:     don at lexmark.com
        cc:     Robert.Herriot at pahv.xerox.com, ipp at pwg.org
        Subject:        Re: IPP>EXC update for Document and Page Exceptions

Oh, well I guess I must have misinterpreted this line:

> 1)  Problem: Add a way to have exceptions for a document copy that are
> different from other copies of the same document;

I read that as exceptions of one copy of a document in which all other
copies are the same.  (Isn't that what "copy" means?  Oh well.)

I would have thought there was some sort of official term for a
scenario that implies "Here's a file.  Print it once using these
attributes,
then print it another way, then print it another way..."

Thanks for the clarification.

        ...jay