Erik Guttman Erik.Guttman at germany.sun.com
Tue Feb 29 05:25:39 EST 2000

> Many of the SLP 'service:printer' attributes (largely taken from the
> IPP Model) lack a proper scope prefix 'printer-'.  This forces us to add
> those prefixes when translating to an LDAP schema.
>
> Tom Hastings (editor of IPP Model) just asked me to write to you and ask
> if we can (once more) update the SLP 'service:printer' template and add
> the proper 'printer-' prefixes, to make the translation cleaner and any
> blind mapping (by an SLP-DA to an LDAP directory server) safe.  Some of
> the numerous currently 'unsafe' attribute names include:
>
> uri-authentication-supported
> uri-security-supported
> media-supported
> color-supported
> sides-supported
>
> Has IANA already registered <draft-ietf-svrloc-printer-scheme-05.txt>?

ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/svrloc-templates
still lacks the registrations.  I sent them to IANA in December!

> If I turn out a revised I-D within the next 10 days, can we send that to
> IANA instead?

Go ahead.

Even if the template version 1.0 goes into the repository, we can submit
the new draft as template version 1.1.  No problem.

I intend to talk to some members of the IESG soon about how to escalate
interaction with IANA so the template registry will get started.

> Tom Hastings and I are very concerned about polluting the LDAP flat
> attribute namespace with names like 'uri-security-supported' and
> 'media-supported' without proper 'printer-' prefixes.

Understood.

Erik