Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Feb 29 15:12:35 EST 2000

"Buzzelli, Mark" wrote:
> Does this mean that the encoding should be the no-value syntax,
> followed by the length of the attribute, followed by the attribute
> keyword, followed by the value length of the keyword 'no-val',
> finally followed by the value 'no-val'? I also have another
> interpretation, which is similiar to the unsupported attribute
> handling, of no-value syntax, length, attribute, value length of 2
> octets and then a value of 0x00. The drafts are not very clear on
> the encoding unless I am looking in the wrong sections.

I believe the correct implementation is to use the "no-value" tag
with a value length of 0.  That's what CUPS is doing, and according
to section 3.10 of the current draft protocol document:

    "If a value-tag contains an "out-of-band" value, such as
     "unsupported", the value-length MUST be 0 and the value empty
     ù the value has no meaning when the value-tag has an
     "out-of-band" value."

(Carl-Uno, there seem to be 8-bit characters in the latest drafts,
 like the "ù" on the third line above; some MS Word strangeness?)

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com