Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Mar 1 05:04:07 EST 2000

I've posted Peter's proposed resolutions to the ISSUES we reviewed in New
Orleans.  Most of the resolutions affect the Implementer's Guide.  However,
some are clarifications for the Model and Semantics document, most of which
were included in the 05 I-D just posted.

The files are located at:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_IIG/Issues-for-New-Orleans-th.doc
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_IIG/IPP-Issues-for-New-Orleans-th.pdf

There is one issue contained in it for the IPP telecon today, 3/1/00:

Q6)   assume a printer is paused( as a result of which the printer status is
set to 'stopped' )  and has jobs queued under it . A user issues a
Purge-Jobs request and is successful . Now should the printer status be
changed to 'idle' or does 'stopped' override 'idle'.

RESOLUTION 6)
 The 'purge-jobs' does not affect the state of the printer.  The state of
the printer should remain as it was.

The IPP/1.1 Implementers Guide will be updated with a state transition
diagram

TH> However, [ipp-mod] contains the following statement under Purge-Jobs:

		The Printer object MUST accept this operation in any state
and transition the Printer object to the 'idle' state.

I believe that we should clarify when the Printer doesn't move to 'idle',
since it is correct for all conditions, except if the Printer is in the
'stopped' state with the 'paused' reason.  If the Printer was in the
'stopped' state because of a 'media-jam', then Purge-Jobs does transition
the Printer (eventually) to 'idle' (perhaps after the media jam is fixed by
human intervention).

ISSUE 01:  How about the following for [ipp-mod], while we work on a state
transition table for the IIG:

Replace in Purge-Jobs operation:

		The Printer object MUST accept this operation in any state
and transition the Printer object to the 'idle' state.

with:

		The Printer object MUST accept this operation in any state
and either (1) transition the Printer object to the 'idle' state or (2) keep
it in the 'stopped' state or move it to the 'stopped' state, if the Printer
had been paused using the Pause-Printer operation ("printer-state-reasons" =
'paused' or 'moving-to-paused', respectively).

Tom

Here is the complete text content of the down-loaded files for those not
retrieving the .doc or .pdf forms.  The revision marks do not show and
deleted text does not appear at all.  My comments are prefixed with TH>

		Peter,

		Here are my comments shown as revisions.

		There is one issue highlighted like this for the IPP telecon
and mailing list

		Tom

		Q0)  The textWithLanguage and nameWithLanguage  Issue was
resolved.  (The description below applies to name as well as text.)

		The agreed upon interpretation comes from the definition of
'textWithLanguage' itself.  The 'textWithLanguage' definition contains:

		"The 'textWithLanguage' attribute syntax is a compound
attribute syntax consisting of two parts: a 'textWithoutLanguage' part plus
an additional 'naturalLanguage' "

		This verbiage together with the length definition of
'textWithoutLanguage of 1023 octets implies the following conclusion.  The
total length of an attribute value of type 'textWithLanguage' would be 1086.
(This ignores the lengths types and attribute name portions of the encoding)
The resulting two error cases, with respect to length, are the length of
'language' exceeds 63 octets and the length of 'text' exceeds 1023 octets

		RESOLUTION 0)
		No change will be made to the IPP/1.1 Model and Semantics.
The following will be included in an update to the IPP/1.1 Implementers
Guide

TH> I went with what the Minutes said and added the following clarification
to the Model document:
This text clarification will be done to the Model document, and also
explained in
the Implementer's Guide.

		"4.1.4 Maximum length for xxxWithLanguage and
xxxWithoutLanguage
		The 'textWithLanguage' and 'nameWithLanguage' are compound
syntaxes that have two component.  The first component is the 'language'
component that can contain up to 63 octets.  The second component is the
'text' or 'name' component.  The maximum length of these are 1023 octets and
255 octets respectively.  The definition of attributes with either syntax
may further restrict the length.  (e.g. printer-name (name(127)))
		The length of the 'language' component has no effect on the
allowable length of 'text' in 'textWithLanguage' or the length of 'name' in
'nameWithLanguage'

TH> This is very good and clear for the IIG (with typo fixed).
Here is what [ipp-mod] has to say about the "Resume-Printer Operation",

"This operation allows a client to resume the Printer object scheduling jobs
on all its devices.  The Printer object MUST remove the 'paused' and
'moving-to-paused' values from the Printer object's "printer-state-reasons"
attribute, if present.  If there are no other reasons to keep a device
paused (such as media-jam), the IPP Printer transitions itself to the
'processing' or 'idle' states, depending on whether there are jobs to be
processed or not, respectively, and the device(s) resume processing jobs."
What this means is, according to the RFC description, the "Resume-printer"
operation must change the 'printer-state-reason' to some thing other than
'Paused' and 'moving-to-paused' and it may or may not result in the Printer
transitioning itself to the 'processing' or 'idle' states, depending on the
actual physical device status (and of course depending on whether any jobs
are queued-up for the printer or not !)

RESOLUTION 1a)
Edit the IPP/1.1 Model and Semantics document containing the above content

"3.2.8 Resume-Printer Operation

This operation allows a client to resume the Printer object scheduling
jobs on all its devices.  The Printer object MUST remove the 'paused'
and 'moving-to-paused' values from the Printer object's "printer-state-
reasons" attribute, if present.  If there are no other reasons to keep a
device paused (such as media-jam), the IPP Printer is free to transition
itself to
the 'processing' or 'idle' states, depending on whether there are jobs
to be processed or not, respectively, and the device(s) resume
processing jobs."

TH>  I goofed in editing the Model by not making this simple change
indicated in the minutes to replace "transitions itself" with "is free to
transition itself".  I'll add that as a typo to fix without the RFC editor.

Q1) Is the responsibility of the "Resume-Printer" operation limited to
changing the Printer objects 'printer-state-reasons' or does it have any
bearing on the 'Printer-state' also ?

RESOLUTION 1)
"resume-printer" does NOT have a responsibility to change the printer state.
Keep in mind that there may be other reasons for a printer's state besides
someone issuing a 'pause-printer'.  These other conditions may prevent the
printer from transitioning to 'idle' or 'processing'.  (Corrective action in
resolution 1a)

Q2)  If, in case, the IPP printer is unable to change its state due to some
problem with the actual printer device (say, it is shut down or there is a
media-jam as indicated in [ipp-mod]), what should be the result of the
"Resume-printer" operation?
Should it still change the 'printer-state-reasons' and return success or
should it fail ?

RESOLUTION 2)
The 'resume-printer' operation must clear the 'paused' or 'moving-to-paused'
'printer-state-message'.  The operation must return a 'successful-ok' status
code  (No corrective action)
TH>  Gee.  I think this would be a good clarification to add to the IIG.
Why not add it as a question and answer in the IIG under the Resume-Printer
section?

Q3)  If it succeeds after changing the 'printer-state-reasons', what should
be the value of 'Printer-state' and  who should take care of the
'Printer-state' later on ?

RESOLUTION 3)
 The 'printer-state 'will change to one of three states
   'idle' - no additional jobs and no error conditions present
   'processing' - job available and no error conditions present
   current state (i.e. no change) an error condition is present  (e.g. media
jam)

 In the third case the 'printer-state-reason' will be cleared by automata
when it detects the error condition no longer exists.  The 'printer-state'
will move to 'idle' or 'processing' when conditions permit. (i.e. no more
error conditions) (Corrective action in resolution 1a)

TH> This seems to be good info for the IIG in a section on Resume-Printer
operation.
Q4)  Assume a client has performed a Print-URI operation with a reference to
a large document .The request is processed checking for the uri-scheme and
the accessibility of the document, and the client is sent a response with a
valid job-id. While the IPP server is downloading the document mid way ,the
client does a get-job-attributes. We would return the job-state as
pending-held , but what the job-state-reasons say. There is a
job-state-reason    'job-incoming' , but is limited to create-job.

RESOLUTION 4) (Note: checking accessibility is optional)
Use 'job-incoming'.  I assume your implementation requires that the entire
job stream be transferred to your printer prior to processing.  If you could
begin before transfer is complete then the 'job-state' would be 'processing'
and the 'job-state-reasons' could also include 'job-interpreting',
'job-transforming' and/or 'job-printing'.  Assuming your implementation can
not process until the entire document data has been retrieved I agree with
your 'job-state'.
Update IPP/1.1 Model and Semantics: 4.3.8 job-state-reasons (1setOf  type2
keyword)
Change
"'job-incoming':  The Create-Job operation has been accepted by the
     Printer, but the Printer is expecting additional Send-Document
     and/or Send-URI operations and/or is accessing/accepting document
     data."
"'job-incoming':  A job creation operation has been accepted by the
     Printer, but the Printer is expecting additional Send-Document
     and/or Send-URI operations and/or is accessing/accepting/retrieving
document
     data.

TH> Another good fix for the Model as a typo with the RFC editor.  However,
it applies to more than just the job creation operations (Create-Job,
Print-Job, and Print-URI) and its only the latter part that applies to other
operations.  I suggest the following for [ipp-mod] instead, ok:

"'job-incoming':  The Create-Job operation has been accepted by the
     Printer, but the Printer is expecting additional Send-Document
     and/or Send-URI operations and/or is accessing/accepting document
     data after accepting a Print-Job, Print-URI, Send-Document and/or
Send-URI operation."

Q5)  assume a user sends a Create-Job request and is successful.  Without
performing a send URI/Doc operation he issues a last-doc without any
document data( so the IPP server would have a job that is created without
any data) . what should be the response of the IPP server to this last-doc
. Will a client-error-not-possible (0x0404) status-code suffice.

RESOLUTION 5)
 The protocol does not prohibit a job without a document.  It is not a
protocol error.  The 'last-doc' request should be accepted.  There is no
requirement that an IPP Job contains a document.  The response to the
operation with the 'last-doc' set and no document must be 'successful-ok'
assuming no other conditions exist.  When the job is processed the resulting
'job-state' would be 'completed' and the 'job-state-reasons' would include
'job-completed-successfully' if no other conditions exist that would cause
an error or warning (e.g. requesting a finishing option).

Add the following to the IPP/1.1 Implementers Guide:
"4.5 Empty Jobs
The IPP object model does not prohibit a job that contains no documents.
Such a job may be created in a number of ways including a 'create-job'
followed by an 'add-document' that contains no data and has the
'last-document' flag set.
An empty job is processed just as any other job.  The operation that
"closes" an empty job is not rejected because the job is empty.  If no other
conditions exist, other than the job is empty, the response to the operation
will indicate success.  After the job is scheduled and processed, the job
state SHALL be 'completed'
There will be some variation in the value(s) of the 'job-state-reasons'
attribute.  It is required that if no conditions, other than the job being
empty, exist the 'job-state-reasons' SHALL include the
'completed-successfully'.  If other conditions existed, the
'completed-with-warnings' or 'completed-with-errors' values may be used."

TH>  Looks good for the IIG.  However, I also clarified the [ipp-mod] by
adding the following sentence to the Group 2 section of 3.3.1.1
Send-Document Request:

		It is not an error for a client to submit a job with no
actual document data, i.e., only a single Create-Job and Send-Document
request with a "last-document" operation attribute set to 'true' with no
document data.
Q6)   assume a printer is paused( as a result of which the printer status is
set to 'stopped' )  and has jobs queued under it . A user issues a
Purge-Jobs request and is successful . Now should the printer status be
changed to 'idle' or does 'stopped' override 'idle'.

RESOLUTION 6)
 The 'purge-jobs' does not affect the state of the printer.  The state of
the printer should remain as it was.

The IPP/1.1 Implementers Guide will be updated with a state transition
diagram

TH> However, [ipp-mod] contains the following statement under Purge-Jobs:

		The Printer object MUST accept this operation in any state
and transition the Printer object to the 'idle' state.

I believe that we should clarify when the Printer doesn't move to 'idle',
since it is correct for all conditions, except if the Printer is in the
'stopped' state with the 'paused' reason.  If the Printer was in the
'stopped' state because of a 'media-jam', then Purge-Jobs does transition
the Printer (eventually) to 'idle' (perhaps after the media jam is fixed by
human intervention).

ISSUE 01:  How about the following for [ipp-mod], while we work on a state
transition table for the IIG:

Replace in Purge-Jobs operation:

		The Printer object MUST accept this operation in any state
and transition the Printer object to the 'idle' state.

with:

		The Printer object MUST accept this operation in any state
and either (1) transition the Printer object to the 'idle' state or (2) keep
it in the 'stopped' state or move it to the 'stopped' state, if the Printer
had been paused using the Pause-Printer operation ("printer-state-reasons" =
'paused' or 'moving-to-paused', respectively).

Q7)  Restart on a Create-Job request:
Assume I give a Create-Job request along with a set of 5 documents . All the
documents get printed and the job state is moved to completed . I issue a
Restart-Job request on the job. Now the issue is that, if  I try to  add new
documents to the restarted job ,will the Ipp Server permit me to do so or
return "client-error-not-possible " and again print those 5 jobs.

RESOLUTION 7)
 A job can not move to the 'completed' state until all the documents have
been processed.  The 'last-document' flag indicates when the last document
for a job is being sent from the client.  This is the semantic equivalent of
closing a job.  No documents may be added once a job is closed. Section
3.3.7 of the IPPv1.1 model states "The job is moved to the 'pending' job
state and restarts the beginning on the same IPP Printer object with the
same attribute values." 'number-of-documents' is a job attribute.

The IPP/1.1 Implementers Guide will be updated with a state transition
diagram

TH>  I also suggest adding the above paragraph to the IIG.
Q8)  Restart on a Print-URI request that was completed :
If  I issue a Restart-Job request on a job that is in state "completed",
does the IPP Server need to down load the file again or proceed with a file
that it had already downloaded.

RESOLUTION 8)
The IPP job does not contain any data, only a reference.  The job data
resides wherever the URL indicates.  Although the specification does not
prohibit caching of print data caching may introduce inconsistent behavior
with other IPP implementations.
The following will be added to the IPP/1.1 Implementers Guide
"3.3.2 Restart-job
The 'restart-job' operation allows the reprocessing of a completed job.
Some jobs store the document data on the printer.  Jobs created using the
Print-Job operation are an example.  It is required that the printer retains
the job data after the job has moved to a 'completed state' in order for the
Restart-Job operation to succeed.
Some jobs contain only a reference to the job data.  A job created using the
Print-URI is an example of such a job.  When the Restart-Job operation is
issued the job is reprocessed.  It is expected that the job data will be
retrieved again to print the job.
It is possible that a job fails while attempting to access the print data.
When such a job is the target of a Restart-Job  the Printer SHALL attempt to
retrieve the job data again."

TH>  I thought we agreed that the Printer MUST re-fetch the data using the
URI.  If so, the above two sentences MUST be deleted as I have indicated.

I added the following to Restart-Job in the [ipp-mod], ok:

		If any of the documents in the job were passed by reference
(Print-URI or Send-URI), the Printer MUST re-fetch the data, since the
semantics of Restart-Job are to repeat all Job processing.
Q9)  Restart on a Print-URI request that was aborted while downloading the
URI :
 If I issue a Restart-Job request on a job that is in state "aborted" (due
to download failing), does the IPP Server need to down load the file again
or return "client-error-not-possible "?

RESOLUTION 9)
 It SHALL attempt to retrieve the job data again.  (The 'print-uri' does
necessarily mean download.  A client may upload the file to the printer via
FTP.  The URL used in 'print-uri' could have a method of 'file://').  On a
Restart-Job operation, the Printer MUST re-fetch the data using the URI no
matter where it points.

TH>  However, on a Restart-Job, the Printer MUST re-fetch the data using the
'file://' URI, in case a client had re-pushed the file data with FTP,
correct?  So the simplest fix is to use the word 're-fetch', not
'down-load', as I have done in the [ipp-mod] fix, ok?  So add the additional
sentence to the IIG that I added above.

See "RESOLUTION 8" for text that will be added to the IPP/1.1 Implementer's
Guide to address this issue.