Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed May 10 22:30:34 EDT 2000

Eric,

I like the list of uses of the Resource object in your second paragraph:
ICC Profiles, etc.  Your list shows exactly why such a Resource object would
be useful.

As to the answer to your question about images and how they are positioned,
the PDL takes care of that. The PDL has some mechanism to reference files.
Postscript "include" I believe it is called.  There is also an "Open
Prepress Interchange (OPI) specification for PostScript comments that make
references to high resolution images.

Search the Adobe partners web site for OPI to locate these specifications
(i.e. at http://partners.adobe.com <http://partners.adobe.com>  )

So images are just another example of a resource that could be down loaded
into a printer so that various documents could make reference to them.

Yes, we should look at what the PPML folks are doing for PODi as well.  But
this IPP Resource object and operations proposal is just to provide means to
load, query, and get such images, not extending PDLs to make reference to
them.  So if PPML (like PostScript) has ways to make external references to
other PPML files or other objects, then PPML would benefit from having the
resource object and its operations defined as well.

Tom