Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Jun 21 10:56:14 EDT 2000

Carl-Uno Manros wrote:

> Peter,
>
> As we all know, votes in IPP meetings can only be seen as
> recommendations to the group.
>
> We need to get the hopefully final draft version of the INDP method
> out, and then finally decide the matter on the IPP mailing list.

My $0.02: CUPS will definitely have to implement the mailto:
notification method, which has been used by both the Berkeley and
System V printing from the beginning.  EMail notification also does
not require any extra client software to support it, so it makes
more sense than INDP which will...

My personal preference is that we mandate both - email is good for
human consumption, and INDP can be used for GUI clients, etc. that
need a more computer-friendly protocol (parsing email messages is not
my idea of a fun software project :)  That will make IPP notification
immediately useful and provide a minimal level of support that IPP
clients can depend on.

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com