harryl at us.ibm.com harryl at us.ibm.com
Thu Jun 29 11:26:22 EDT 2000

I constantly have failed to get my point across... especially if you think
d) Multiple responses to an IPP operation is the same as b) Intelligent
polling!!! Rules... what rules?! None of the proposed solutions appear to
allow the simple notification of job complete on a real time basis to the
job submitter without stressing the infrastructure or imposing additional
protocol support.

If by b), you are referring to the "ipp-notify-get" methodology, it
appears to be the closest thing to "native" IPP but it deposits the
heuristics in the wrong end of the transaction (the client must still
decide/guess when to poll). It makes much more sense for the
server/printer to control the glide path to real-time notifications.
Still, if this is what you mean (b = "ipp-notify-get" delivery method)...
it may be the closest thing we have to a simple, native protocol for
events.

Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems

"Carl-Uno Manros" <carl at manros.com>