Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Jul 5 15:58:12 EDT 2000

Carl,

I'm interpreting your comments as WG Last Call comments on the IPP Set
Operations document.

I have several questions about the requirements for your proposal:

1. Are you looking for a way to represent that any "document-format" value
will be acceptable in a Job Creation operation for ONLY that attribute?  In
other words, only the "document-formats-supported" Printer Description
attribute needs a way to indicate that any value will be acceptable.

2. For the "document-format-supported" Printer attribute, then there would
only be a single "special" value that indicates any and that no other values
would be included as well, correct?

3. Why wouldn't the Job Repository application that you indicate need the
same  mechanism for any "xxx-supported" attribute?

4. Would any other "xxx-supported" attributes only need a SINGLE value and
would not need any other values as well?

So we could either take your suggestion for using 'unknown' or define a new
'any' out-of-band value, but restrict it to be the ONLY value of an
"xxx-supported" Printer attribute.  The advantage of 'unknown' is that
current clients should know what that out of band value means.  Because the
out-of-band value would NOT be used in combination with other values in any
"xxx-supported" attribute returned by Get-Printer-Attributes to an existing
client, there is not an interoperability problem.

The next issue that comes up is how does the Set-Printer-Attributes
operation know whether or not to accept a 'unknown' out-of-band value as a
value to be set?

The simplest solution would be for the Set spec to say that the
Set-Printer-Attributes operation MUST always accept the 'unknown' value for
an "xxx-supported" attribute, as long as it is the only value being set for
that attribute.  Then the Get-Printer-Supported-Values operation would not
be affected and would NOT return 'unknown' as one of the values that can be
set.

A more complicated alternative would be to require that the 'unknown' (or
'any') value be ONE OF the values among others returned by the (new)
Get-Printer-Supported-Values operation.  Then it would be clear whether a
Set-Printer-Attributes operation could set the 'unknown' value or not.

I favor the simpler alternative.  I also favor overloading the 'unknown'
value as you suggest, rather than introducing a new 'any' out-of-band value
that old clients wouldn't recognize.

Comments?

Tom