IPP> Question concerning job-hold-until

Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Jul 18 18:19:01 EDT 2000

Some interesting fine points regarding "job-priority" and "job-hold-until"
Job Template attributes...

The [ipp-mod] (IPP/1.0 and IPP/1.1) does NOT say that when a client omits an
"xxx" Job Template attribute, that the Printer populates the Job object with
the default value.  So if a client queries such a job, it will not get the
"xxx" (or "xxx-default) attribute at all in the response.  To see this, see
section 4.2 step 2 two paragraphs:

2. "xxx" is OPTIONALLY supplied by the client in a create request.  If "xxx"
is supplied, the client is indicating a desired job processing behavior for
this Job.  When "xxx" is not supplied, the client is indicating that the
Printer object apply its default job processing behavior at job processing
time if the document content does not contain an embedded instruction
indicating an xxx-related behavior.

Since an administrator MAY change the default value attribute after a Job
object has been submitted but before it has been processed, the default
value used by the Printer object at job processing time may be different
that the default value in effect at job submission time.

However, the first two Job Template attributes: "job-priority" and
"job-hold-until" are different from the other Job Template attributes, in
that their effect takes place when the job is submitted, not later when the
job is processed.

Both have the following statements about what happens if the client doesn't
supply the attribute:

[job-priority]:
If the client does not supply this attribute and this attribute is supported
by the Printer object, the Printer object MUST use the value of the Printer
object's "job-priority-default" at job submission time (unlike most Job
Template attributes that are used if necessary at job processing time).

[job-hold-until]:
If the client does not supply this attribute and this attribute is supported
by the Printer object, the Printer object MUST use the value of the Printer
object's "job-hold-until-default" at job submission time (unlike most Job
Template attributes that are used if necessary at job processing time).

The attached mail asks what does a client get back from a Get-Job-Attributes
operation for a Job for which these two special Job Template attributes were
omitted by the client, but the Printer had an "xxx-default" value?

For "job-hold-until", the client can query the Job's "job-state-reasons"
attribute and the 'job-hold-until-specified' value SHOULD be present and the
job MUST be in the 'pending-held' state, unless the time period has already
started.

However, for "job-priority" there isn't a way for a client to determine what
the job's priority is by querying the job, since the "job-priority"
attribute isn't present on the job, even though the Printer had a value for
its "job-priority-default" attribute.

It would certainly seem a reasonable extension for an implementation to
populate the Job object with a "job-priority" attribute (or perhaps a
"job-priority-default" attribute would be better to indicate that it came
from the Printer and has lower priority than the PDL) when the job is
submitted using the value from the Printer's "job-priority-default" value
when the client omits the "job-priority" attribute.  Then any client
performing a Get-Job-Attributes operation would get the job's priority.
Note that this would be early binding, so that if the administrator changed
the value of the "job-priority-default", then existing jobs would not be
affected, whereas their priority would be affected for an implementation
that doesn't populate the Job object.

Comments?

Tom

Also see comments below preceded by TH>