IPP> notification methods

Zehler, Peter Peter.Zehler at usa.xerox.com
Wed Jul 26 09:22:55 EDT 2000

Harry,

My view is that the mailto notification is bound to human readable. The
mailto method is bound to a standard application that presents notification
content to a human for interpretation and consumption.  INDP may contain
octets that a human can decipher.  The consumer of the content is an
application and the application is responsible for interpreting the content.

I resist binding mailto to Internet and INDP to intranet.  I see no reason
that INDP would not be used on the Internet.  It should be a site specific
policy decision to allow INDP or IPP through a firewall.

As I stated before I favor a notification being sent out at INDP
registration.  That allows a notification recipient to determine if the
infrastructure supports INDP notification.

Pete

				Peter Zehler
				XEROX
				Xerox Architecture Center