IPP> notification methods

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Wed Jul 26 19:26:48 EDT 2000

Hi Paul,

Actually, Tom Hastings pointed out today that the
current version of IPP 'mailto:' (which is in 'last
call') has machine-readable notifications (in ADDITION
to the human-readable always required) as the DEFAULT
because the boolean 'notify-mailto-text-only' defaults
to FALSE (i.e., attachments are permitted at the
discretion of the IPP Notification generator, the
Printer or ENS).

An IPP Client must SUPPRESS machine-readable content
by requesting 'notify-mailto-text-only=TRUE' at
Subscription creation time.

I'm content with this - in the future, if we deem it
advisable, we can decide that 'application/ipp' is
RECOMMENDED as (one of) the MIME attachments in all
machine-readable IPP 'mailto:' notification messages.