IPP> notification methods

Zehler, Peter Peter.Zehler at usa.xerox.com
Fri Aug 11 12:01:30 EDT 2000

Carl,

I don't know who your ISP is but mine has no control over a server running
on my host.  They do control the length of my IP lease.  In my case the
lease lasts hours.  Certainly enough time for a notification.  (Not enough
time to host a business...they charge for that.)

I can have a fixed IP address and I can have multiple IP addresses if I so
desire.  The use of INDP assumes programmatic interactions in near real
time.  If I build an application that relies on this it may well impose
requirements on system/network configurations as well as influence the
components I buy.

I see a real need for programmatic as well as end user notification.  We
should be specifying and building enabling technologies.  Our role should be
enable policy not to enforce it.

Pete

				Peter Zehler
				XEROX