Wagner,William bwagner at digprod.com
Mon Aug 14 18:24:35 EDT 2000

I interpreted Bob's use of the word browser to refer to a EMAIL program,
rather than an HTTP browser.

As for scenario, I always keep Outlook running when I am in the office, and
it can signal me whenever a new message comes in. Indeed, with AutoPreview,
I get enough of the message so that I would seen the notification text
without even pulling up the message. I realize this has become a religious
issue, but I think mail-to would work just great to let a large proportion
of users know what is happening with print jobs and machines without any new
plug-in or new application. Although a plug-in could add some information
for the user and perhaps do a popup, it hardly seems necessary

I am less clear on what the Machine Readable approach (INDP or MAIL-TO)
would be used for. If it is for stand-alone spoolers, I agree that MAIL-TO
is not suitable. If a printer company wants to provide some spiffy new
application, I agree that a fully stand along program that does not use the
existing email system would probably be better.

So, I think that Bob's approach is clean and reasonable, but I do not see
the advantage of adding "Machine-readable information" unless this approach
is going to be used more widely for asynchronous message delivery.

And I have to say, I know of no human who can read what is transferred on an
Ethernet line without a machine, so I think the machine readable versus
human readable distinction is misleading. The distinction seems to be "uses
prevalent existing applications" versus "needs special applications". Or
uses a store and forward mechanism that is polled by the recipient  versus
using a continuing listening application in the recipient's machine (dare I
say a server?).

William A. Wagner (Bill Wagner)
Director of Technology
Imaging Division