pmoore at peerless.com pmoore at peerless.com
Tue Aug 22 16:40:49 EDT 2000

sadly I dont think this topic is open for discussion anymore - I am sure we
could have a wonderfully productive debate on it it :-)

We probably will have one anyway :-(

"McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com> on 08/22/2000 01:27:23 PM

To:   "'Carl Kugler/Boulder/IBM'" <kugler at us.ibm.com>, "McDonald, Ira"
      <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>
cc:   "'pmoore at peerless.com'" <pmoore at peerless.com>, "Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM"
      <harryl at us.ibm.com>, bwagner at digprod.com, ipp at pwg.org, "Herriot, Robert"
      <Robert.Herriot at pahv.xerox.com> (bcc: Paul Moore/AUCO/US)

Subject:  RE: IPP> machine readable etc. - why Harry is right

Hi Carl,

YES - it's a lousy idea to run IPP over HTTP - it's
caused a number of discovered problems and more still
lurking.

If we had no HTTP substrate, the notifications over
the Internet would be much cleaner (and more likely
to get the firewall vendors to build stuff to support
such a mode).