McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Fri Aug 25 13:41:46 EDT 2000

Hi folks,

Please send your votes and opinions.

[Background - in current draft of IPP Resource objects,
see Tom Hastings' method for simple server-side filters
in Get-Resource-Attributes, using a new Resource Filter
Attributes Group in the operation encoding.  Our desire
is to choose a filter approach for both Jobs and Resources,
because they may both be numerous on a given IPP Printer.]

Option 1 - new XXX Filter Attributes group
- zero to N occurrences of the new group in Get operation
- each occurrence of the group contains a set of attribute
  value assertions which are combined with logical AND
- each whole group of assertions is combined with (any)
  others with logical OR
- no other logical operations are supported

Option 2 - new 'collection' operation attribute
- single 'collection' makes possible a single set of attribute
  value assertions which are combined with logical AND
- method is unsuitable for Resource objects because they
  (Resources) are mainly a more extensible and low-cost
  alternative to the use of 'collection' for supported media
  characteristics (size, weight, color, etc.)

Option 3 - new 'xxx-filter' operation attribute
- use LDAP and SLP common string expression syntax (RFC 2254)
- perfect compatibility with directory-enabled applications
- full set of operators (approximate equivalence, presence,
  substring, etc.)
- requires string encoding of all values (not IPP native)

Comments?

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Xerox and Sharp
  High North Inc