IPP> IPP Bake-Off 3 issue 4

Carl Kugler/Boulder/IBM kugler at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 30 11:44:11 EST 2000

To be really anal ytical, the spec still only allows D:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<
3.1.7 Unsupported Attributes
A Printer object MUST include an Unsupported Attributes group in a response
if the status code is one of the following:
'successful-ok-ignored-or-substituted-attributes',
'successful-ok-conflicting-attributes',
'client-error-attributes-or-values-not-supported' or
'client-error-conflicting-attributes'.

My opinion is that specifying four or more ways to accomplish the same
thing just complicates matters and makes implementation more confusing.
Back at bakeoff 1, the spec only allowed D.  I admit that I was one of
those who implemented it wrong for bakeoff 1.  But when the spec was
loosened up, I still got it wrong and ended up in camp A.  IBM is currently
shipping three different implementations of "requested-attributes".  I
don't consider this a good thing.

     -Carl

"Hastings, Tom N" <hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com> on 10/27/2000 06:36:07 PM