Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Nov 8 13:47:22 EST 2000

Hugo Parra wrote:
> > I'm also confused about the use of a MIME type for the
> > document-format value and a keyword for the file-type value...
>
> Michael, can you be more specific.  It's not clear to me what is it
> that you're finding confusing.

Well, the driver file will also have a MIME type, right?  Why bother
with a non-standard keyword value when a MIME type will do?

(this may mean registering MIME types for some of the types you
have listed, but using a MIME type will allow you to use other
types of driver files in the future without having to specify
them in the spec...)

> This field was added by the group in the Chicago meeting.  We
> looked at several scenarios where a user or program would need
> this additional information to select the "right" print support
> file.  The value of this field may be populated by a printer

I wouldn't use "policy" as the name then; maybe a "preference"
number, like the preference numbers used for mail exchangers?

The danger I see here is that a malicious user could provide a
bogus printer driver or a manufacturer could have a buggy driver.
Supporting a "policy" type of value implies that certain policies
could force an automatic install of the driver (without user or
admin approval), which opens the door to all sorts of problems.
Without some sort of signature or certificate, you can't "trust"
the driver you are downloading...

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com