McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Thu Dec 21 13:17:58 EST 2000

Hi folks,

First, note that this XHMTL MIME type registration I-D is
an official submission of the W3C HTML WG (not the individual
contribution that the document filename implies).

This XHTML MIME type supports future XHTML-family languages
(e.g., XHTML-Print) explicitly with the OTPIONAL parameter
'schema-location=' which specifies the URL of a DTD of XML
Schema for the specific XHTML language dialect.

This means that XHTML-Print does NOT need any special MIME
type to be declared in an open and interoperable way in all
protocols that carry MIME messages (email, IPP, etc.).

The example in this I-D:

schema-location=http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-basic/xhtml-basic10.dtd

UPnP and IPPFAX folks please take note:

A key constraint in this XHTML MIME type is that documents
that use this label MUST be 'well-formed' XML (see the W3C
XML 1.0 spec - this has more than the obvious meaning).
So XML 'fragments' (that are not well-formed) are specifically
prohibited.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Sharp and Xerox
  High North Inc