McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Tue Jan 23 21:52:24 EST 2001

Hi Carl,

I agree that something should be added to the (next,
not current) version of the IPP Implementors Guide.

I also agree that it's perfectly possible to contact
in IPP implementation using IPP/1.0 version and an
'ipp:' URL (although RFC 2565/2566 are entirely silent
on this topic, except for the IESG nasty-gram on the
cover sheets).

Let's beat this issue up on the mailing list.  If we
can get some good concensus, then I'd be delighted to
treat the issue right in the I-D (future standards track
RFC) that registers the 'ipp:' URL scheme.  According
to the IETF, this kind of protocol version issue SHOULD
be addressed right in the same RFC.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Sharp and Xerox
  High North Inc