IPP> New data types

pmoore at netreon.com pmoore at netreon.com
Mon Jan 29 15:06:15 EST 2001

I had had similar thoughts (I was imagining Text, BigText (16-bit) and HugeText
(32-bit))

Text64k is less fun :-) but fine by me (it is 64k not 65k)

Mike Bartman <bartman at process.com> on 01/29/2001 11:42:59 AM

To:   Paul Moore/AUCO/US at AUCO, ipp at pwg.org
cc:   ifx at pwg.org

Subject:  RE: IPP> New data types

One tiny suggestion that has nothing to do with the merits of needing these
two types in the first place, but only with the actual names?  I've got a
generic aversion to names that assume by their nature that there will never
be any future expansions, so rather than "BigText" and "BigOctetString", how
about "Text65K" and "OctetString65K"?

This would preclude a need for things like "BiggerText" and
"StillEvenMoreUnbelievablyHugeOctetString" in future expansions when it is
found that there's a need for something even larger, probably more than
once.  With my suggested pattern there would just be "Text265K", "Text1Meg",
etc., for as many expansions as occur, without breaking the pattern.
Besides, "Text65K" and "OctetString65K" are more descriptive of the actual
size limits.  They also allow recognition of the underlying type from the
prefix, without finishing the parse to see what the limit is, in case a
given implementation doesn't care for some reason.

Maybe it's just having lived through too many instances of "this is big
enough for all time", but that's my immediate impression anyway.  Thanks for
"listening".

-- Mike Bartman