Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri May 18 15:22:21 EDT 2001

Re-reading Michael's comment, he is advocating making it clear that both
stationery-xxx and photographic-xxx may be one or two-sided.  At least we
will make it clear that it could be either, rather than being ambiguous as
to whether it does or does not mean one-sided or two-sided.

However, I bet for stationery-inkjet, it will always be two-sided.  So ok to
say "both sides" only for it?  How could a user tell which side to put in
the printer for inkjet paper, if the coating was different? Both sides would
look the same.

So I propose the following updated specific text additions, deletions, and
changes for Media Type for the next draft, where [] indicates changes in the
running text that is in the D0.8 Draft:

Reference 5 needs some fixing:
5  =  IPP Production Printing Attributes [IPP-PROD]   The name in this
document is derived from a subset of the "media-front-coating" and
"media-back-coating" member attributes by adding the 'photographic-' prefix
and 'stationery-' to the IPP keyword values.

The 6 would be a Ref. like:
6  =  IPP Production Printing Attributes [IPP-PROD]   The name in this
document is derived from the "media-pre-printed" member attribute by adding
the 'stationery-' prefix to the IPP keyword values.

The 7 would be a Ref. like:
7  =  IPP Production Printing Attributes [IPP-PROD]   The name in this
document represents values greater than 0 of the IPP "media-hole-count"
member attribute.

The 8 would be a Ref. like:
8  =  IPP Production Printing Attributes [IPP-PROD]   The name in this
document represents values that are greater than or less than the "normal"
integer value of the IPP "media-weight-metric" member attribute.

stationery
Separately cut sheets of an opaque material [no change]
1, 3
stationery-coated
Separately cut sheets of an opaque material with a coating [on one or both
sides]
of unspecified type

stationery-inkjet
Separately cut sheets of an opaque material whose coating [on both sides] is
designed to minimize the spread of liquid inks

stationery-glossy [new]
Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that has a "glossy" coating on
one or
both sides.
5
stationery-matte [new]
Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that has a "matte" coating on
one or
both sides.
5
stationery-preprinted [new]
Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that is pre-printed on at least
one side.
6
stationery-letterhead [new]
Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that is pre-printed letter head
on at least one side.
6
stationery-prepunched [new]
Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that is pre-punched.  The number
of holes is unspecified.
7
stationery-fine [new]
Separately cut sheets of an opaque material, such as vellum or other high
quality paper

stationery-heavyweight [new]
Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that is heavier in weight than
the 'stationery' type.
8
stationery-lightweight [new]
Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that is lighter in weight than
the 'stationery' type.
8

photographic
Separately cut sheets of an opaque material to produce photographic quality
images.  The coating is unspecified [and is on one or both sides].

photographic-glossy
Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that has a "glossy" coating [on
one or both sides] to produce photographic quality images.
5

[deleted: photographic-high-gloss and photographic-semi-gloss]

photographic-satin
Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that has a "satin" [or
"semi-gloss"] coating [on one or both sides] to produce photographic quality
images.
5
photographic-matte
Separately cut sheets of an opaque material that has a "matte" coating [on
one or both sides] to produce photographic quality images.
5
photographic-film
Separately cut sheets of film used to produce photographic quality images.
[no change]

Tom