Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Jul 30 20:56:32 EDT 2001

So there are now two more issues for the IPPGET spec from the mailing list:

ISSUE 08:  Allow the client to supply a list of subscription-ids and
notify-sequence-numbers so the Printer filters out duplicates?  From Marty
Joel's Fri 07/27/2001 21:15 email:

Well, if a subscription ID is given with a Get-Notifications request, then
only one sequence number is (optionally) needed.

I'm thinking now that instead of Get-Notifications optionally taking a
single subscription ID, maybe that should be a list, and maybe there should
be another optional list with corresponding sequence numbers.

If that is done, then the 3 possibilities are that Get-Notifications takes
subscription IDs only and no recipient uri, a recipient uri and no
subscription IDs, or both.  I propose that if Get-Notifications is given a
recipient uri, then a search will be made for matching subscriptions,
regardless of whether or not any subscription IDs are given.  In the event
that the recipient uri is not given, then Get-Notifications will only
return events for the given subscription IDs.  Whether or not a recipient
uri is given, if corresponding sequence numbers are given with the
subscription IDs, then the starting event sequence number will apply only
to those subscription IDs.  For the case where recipient uri is not given,
the optional list of corresponding sequence numbers will apply to all
subscriptions being requested.

For the case where Get-Notifications is being called with a recipient uri,
then the first call would have no subscription IDs (since if the client
knows the subscription IDs, the search for those subscriptions having that
recipient uri can be avoided).  The second call would contain that
recipient uri, and may include , for each subscription of the events
returned from the first call, the subscription IDs and a list of the
corresponding next sequence numbers to receive for each.  As each
subsequent call is made, if an event is returned with a subscription ID
that was previously not returned, then that subscription ID and next
sequence number will be added to the lists for subsequent calls to
Get-Notifications.  The client is not required to follow this procedure,
but if followed, it lowers the number of events the printer must process
and send, and eliminates the possibility of the client receiving duplicate
events.

I realize this complicates the spec a bit, but I think it makes ippget more
versatile, and addresses Michael's excellent point of improving performance
and bandwidth.

ISSUE 09: Make Event Wait Mode OPTIONAL for a Sender and a Receiver?
Currently the spec REQUIRES the Receiver to support both values of the
"notify-wait" operation attribute ('true' and 'false').

With the Notification Recipient being able to request the Receiver to filter
out duplicates, is it ok to allow the Receiver to always force the
Notification Recipient back to Event No Wait Mode with the
"notify-get-interval" operation attribute of when to poll next?

Of should Event Wait Mode be RECOMMENDED for the Receiver?
What about RECOMMENDED for the Sender?

Tom