IPP> PWG media size name mini-project

Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Jan 17 12:57:06 EST 2001

To: Ron and others interested in the PWG mini-project to compile an open
list of standard media size names for use in IPP "media" attribute, UPnP,
Bluetooth, Printer MIB, IPP FAX, Internet FAX, etc.

At the December UPnP Imaging WG meeting, the they requested that the PWG
compile a list of standard media size names, rather than inventing its own
set for UPnP.  Other protocols have the same requirements and slightly
different sets of lists.  Having a single set of media size names will help
a lot.  There may need to be alias names for a few sizes where there are
different names for the same media size.

At the December PWG meeting, Ron Bergman volunteered to start making a list.
Mike Shepherd from Xerox is willing to work with Ron on this.

Please take a look at the compilation that Jim Lo from Sun compiled (see
attached email fragment) and sent to the IPP and UPD DLs in November.  He
researched the IPP, GPD, and PPD (and others) for media size names and
compiled a list that he sorted by size name, by size, and by source.   I've
converted his .html to LANDSCAPE .doc and .pdf so that it prints without
truncation.  I've copied it to a new sub-directory: new_MEDIA (which we can
use for the media object in the future as well).  I've also copied two RFCs
that have media sizes for Internet FAX (see email attached from Lloyd
McIntyre).

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MEDIA/papersizes-ipp-gpd-ppd.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MEDIA/papersizes-ipp-gpd-ppd.doc
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MEDIA/papersizes-ipp-gpd-ppd.htm
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MEDIA/rfc2534.txt
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MEDIA/rfc2879.txt

Thanks,
Tom