don at lexmark.com don at lexmark.com
Wed Jan 31 11:58:11 EST 2001

Ira's proposal, in part, was:

--------------

  5.2.  Conformance Requirements for IPP Printers

   IPP Printers that conform to this specification:

   a) SHOULD reject received IPP URLs in "application/ipp" request
      bodies (e.g., in the "printer-uri" attribute in a 'Print-Job'
      request) that do not conform to the ABNF for IPP URLs specified in
      section 4.4 of this document;

   b) SHOULD return IPP URLs in "application/ipp" response bodies (e.g.,
      in the "job-uri" attribute in a 'Print-Job' response) that do
      conform to the ABNF for IPP URLs specified in section 4.4 of this
      document;

   c) MUST listen for IPP operations on IANA-assigned well-known port
      631.

   d) MUST NOT listen for IPP operations on any other port, unless
      explicitly configured by system administrators or site policies.

-------------

I believe we should change D to "SHOULD NOT."  There are existing
implementations whose out-of-box behaviour is to listen on multiple ports
including 631.  In addition, future implementations may provide different
classes of service or provide other differentiation based on port number.  For
example a "Super IPP" implementation may provide additional functions in
addition to IPP on say port 6310.  We should not invalidate (i.e. make
non-compliant) devices whose out-of-box behaviour is to offer IPP services on
other ports as long as they do support 631.

BTW:  This was also the opinion of those in attendance at the last face-to-face
meeting.

* Don Wright                 don at lexmark.com *
* Chair, Printer Working Group               *
* Chair, IEEE MSC                            *
* Director, Strategic & Technical Alliances  *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 859-232-4808 (phone) 859-232-6740 (fax)    *