Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Feb 7 03:35:34 EST 2001

Harry,

Thanks for forwarding this message (attached) about the Epson Escape/P
printer language format (PDL).

The message is from a Sharp engineer that uses the Epson Escape/P printer
format in some of its products.  The message points out that the name listed
in the Printer MIB and our new table of printer languages may be incorrect.

The IANA Printer Language Number registry and the Printer MIB RFC 1759
(March 1994) has the following entries:

          langEscapeP(9),
          langEpson(10),

with no company names included in the comments field.

This enum value 9 is in the Printer MIB V2 (currently in the IESG queue to
publish as an RFC) is shown as, so that it is attributed to Epson Corp.:

        langEscapeP(9),      -- Epson Corp.

The new table of printer language formats that we are compiling with the
intent to register with IANA has the following Proper English name (which
may be an error) and company as:

        Escape/P             Epson Corp.

Questions for Epson about enum value 9:

1. Is this enum a printer language format that you have defined?

2. What is the proper English name for this enum?

3. Do you have a public reference to its specification that we could
include?

4. Do you want us to register as a MIME media type along with a large number
of the other printer language formats that are in the Printer MIB.

5. For the MIB we have a problem changing a symbol, I believe for printmibV2
because it would be different from the symbol in RFC 1759.  However, we can
correct the comment to give it the proper English name.

While we are asking Epson about this Printer language format, we should also
ask about the next one in the Printer MIB (enum value 10) which is simply:

        langEpson(10),

with no comment.  Same questions:

1. Is this enum a printer format that you have defined?

2. What is the proper English name for this enum?

3. Do you have a public reference to its specification?

4. Do you want us to register as a MIME media type along with a large number
of the other printer language formats that are in the Printer MIB.

5. For the MIB we have a problem changing a symbol, I believe for printmibV2
because it would be different from the symbol in RFC 1759.  However, we can
correct the comment to give it the proper English name.

BTW, I wonder if entry 9 and 10 had intended to be just a single 9 value
entry?  Perhaps, the symbol langEpson(10) should have just been a comment on
entry 9?  I hope we can find out whether or not enum 10 (printer language
number 10) is being used and for what.

Thanks,
Tom