IPP> IPP-Server

Lloyd Kauapundu lloyd.kauapundu at materna.de
Mon Mar 5 07:46:04 EST 2001

I am relatively new to ipp and want to implement an IPP-Server and I am
wondering how I should go about this. My question is, what is in actual
fact an ipp-server? The Modell and sematics document states:

    A Printer object implements the server-side of the IPP/1.1 protocol.

   Using the protocol, end users may query the attributes of the Printer

   object and submit print jobs to the Printer object.  The actual
   implementation components behind the Printer abstraction may take on
   different forms and different configurations."
Concluding from this and other documents I have read, an IPP-Server is
not really a server as such. Since IPP uses HTTP as a transport layer,
this implies that an "IPP-Server" will be hosted by a HTTP-Server. Which
means that an IPP-Server is actually a HTTP Server-Extension, such as
CGI or servlets. Am I right in this asumption, can an "IPP-Server" be
implemented as a servet that processes the Ipp-operations and
attributes? If this is not the case, can someone who has implemented an
"IPP-Server" let me in on how to go about this?
Lloyd