Manros, Carl-Uno B cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Mar 14 20:14:15 EST 2001

Hi,

One of the agenda points for next week's IETF IPP WG meeting is the future
of the project.

The Application Area Directors are on a constant chase for WGs that they can
close down to make space for new WGs.

We are not quite done yet, as we have a number of I-Ds which are still
sitting in queue at the IESG, but it looks like we start running dry on
further new documents.

We still have the four documents that I sent out recently for IPP WG Last
Call, and we are still trying to reach closure on the resolution of all
issues from the latest b**e-off, but after that I can only imagine smaller
additions, which can either be handled as personal suggestions for IPP
extensions, or be farmed out to the Printer Working Group, as we have
already done in some cases earlier. I also think that we have specified so
much IPP functionality that it will take a while for implementers to put
what we have already defined into products, so a bit of pausing in the IPP
standardization work may not hurt.

My hope is that if we can make close of the WG dependent on faster
processing of our drafts in the IESG, we might have a win-win situation both
for the ADs and the IPP WG.

Any comments on this proposal before I talk to our ADs about this next week?

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Manager, Print Services
Xerox Architecture Center - Xerox Corporation
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com